Ourstartpage.com, just like other browser hijackers, tries to give you an impression of a legitimate search provider. It has a user-friendly interface. And, of course, there is nowhere written on its website that it, actually, is a PUP – a potentially unwanted program. However, if you entered its URL even in its own search bar and made a search about it, the first page of search results would reveal you the true nature of Ourstartpage.com.
About Ourstartpage.com Browser Hijacker
Ourstartpage.com browser add-on has shortcuts to Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Amazon and Ebay arranged in two lines on its grey background underneath the search bar. It is characteristic of rogue search engines to contain icons of the most popular websites on its main search page. No sign of the company this search provider belongs to is given on the main page.
The leading country to visit Ourstartpage.com website is Denmark because 25.56% of generated traffic comes from this country. The top-five also consists of Brazil, Thailand, Spain and India. While it used to contain its own original interface, now, once you enter Ourstartpage.com URL into an address bar, you will be simply redirected to a Google service. However, it is still possible that this domain won’t be solely operated by the reliable parties. Unknown people could still initiate monitoring and track the search queries that users execute via the search box.
While the website was still active, it ranked 930,888 globally and received a position of 27,991 In Denmark. It is being hosted in Arizona. The website was updated about a moth ago, on 23rd of June. It started its activity on June of 2016 and will expire on the same month of 2018. Even though there is some time before the website will be shut down, it already has lost its original interface that we have included into the screenshots below.
The website’s IP address is 220.127.116.11 and it informs us that it is located in California. Arin company is indicated as the registrar of this application but we do not know whether it is involved in the activity of Ourstartpage.com. If you notice the latter URL before the legitimate Google page is displayed, this could be a sign that an unknown source is silently examining your browsing activities.
Why do Ourstartpage.com browser plug-in hijacks your default browser settings? Well, browser hijackers makes money from illegitimate advertising business, known as malvertising. This business is implemented through two strategies regarding the display of advertising content. The first method involves the promotion 3rd party websites in the search results. The second one encompasses the display o 3rd party ads on the non-affiliated websites. Furthermore, Ourstartpage.com module monitors your browsing and provide this info to 3rd party which, then, crystallize your interests and make the advertisements correspond them. What is more, this rogue application may send invitation to other hijackware and open roads to other type of malware.
Ourstartpage.com hijacker can have a different interface – look at the screenshot below. This upgraded version of the rogue search engine has a changing wallpaper. It does also greet you. The welcoming phrase may differ according to the part of the day. For instance, at noon it can alert you of the lunchtime. This updated version of Ourstartpage.com extension shows the time of your location at the moment, the day of the month, the current month and year. Nevertheless, if you want to uninstall it because of the malfunctioning specified above, you will not be able to do that with the means the developers of this malicious application provides you with. Ourstartpage.com/uninstall.html is supposed to be the address with provides you with the latter function. However, even if you click the Uninstall button, the hijacker will not let you rest in peace and keep operating on your computer.
How does Ourstartpage.com Browser Hijacker Enter Your Computer?
Highlightly and iRobinHood software have been reported to spread Ourstartpage.com extension. Other freeware/shareware may be also involved in the distribution of the latter PUP. Thus, pay attention to the way you perform the installation of various free apps which you download from the Internet. It is not a secret that many users tend to rush through the installation steps by stubbornly clicking the Next button. We believe that from no on you will become a conscious user and cease succumbing to this fashion. Make sure to choose Advanced/Custom settings in the future because only in this mode you will have permission to opt out otherwise hidden PUPs.
Spyhunter are the malware removal tools to be applied for the removal of Ourstartpage.com browser hijacker and all its leftovers. These automatic utilities are typically employed in the case of such infections and have already become acknowledged as efficient security software. There is a secondary option aiming at the sole elimination of this unwanted program, that is, manual removal. For manual removal refer to the guidelines below.
Ourstartpage Com Virus quicklinks
- About Ourstartpage.com Browser Hijacker
- How does Ourstartpage.com Browser Hijacker Enter Your Computer?
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Manual removal of Ourstartpage.com virus
- How to remove Ourstartpage.com Virus using Windows Control Panel
- How to remove Ourstartpage.com Virus from macOS
Automatic Malware removal tools
Manual removal of Ourstartpage.com virus
How to remove Ourstartpage.com Virus using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like Ourstartpage.com Virus install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to Ourstartpage.com Virus . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make Ourstartpage.com Virus easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
How to remove Ourstartpage.com Virus from macOSDelete Ourstartpage.com Virus from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the Ourstartpage.com Virus app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
TopHow To remove Ourstartpage.com Virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Ourstartpage.com Virus, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove Ourstartpage.com Virus from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Ourstartpage.com Virus related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove Ourstartpage.com Virus from Microsoft Edge:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove Ourstartpage.com Virus from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Ourstartpage.com Virus and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.