Info.com is a redirect virus and a browser hijacker that can be installed to Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. It is distributed by freeware applications that you can get from the Internet. The computer user is usually not aware of the installation of Info.com, which means they install it without agreeing to it. Installed, this hijacker makes the browser redirect to Info.com to search the internet. And Info.com’s results are full of ads and irrelevant links.
Info Com Redirect Virus quicklinks
Info.com features and removal:
|Symptoms of a hijacking
|Searching the web redirects you to Info.com,
pop-ups by Info.com appear on other websites.
|Problems and dangers
|Your browsing history and demographic data is collected,
your data may be used to help with advertising,
Info.com seems to be related to low-quality and dangerous search engines.
|Remove Info.com redirect virus
|Uninstall suspicious programs and browser extensions,
Problems with Info.com
Info.com is categorized as a potentially unwanted program. It changes your browser settings which allow the program to change your homepage and default search provider to info.com, often – without your consent. Sometimes it also uses the search34.info.com or ww92.btosjs.info.com websites. Every time you try to search the web for something, it redirects you to one of these websites.
The Info.com page looks like a regular search engine however it doesn’t provide the best search results. It includes tons of sponsored links and ads, quite a bit more than most normal search engines. Info.com wastes your time while you scroll and try to find relevant results among all the sponsorships. Those ads are how NewTab viruses like Info.com make money.
What is more, Info.com is able to collect data about your browsing habits. This information can later be used for marketing purposes. Search engines find a lot of information about you and it helps them advertise more efficiently. If the information that Info.com has about you is mishandled, it could fall into the hands of criminals and scammers and put you in danger. So, can you trust it?
There are a few complaints online about Info.com pop-ups appearing in the user’s browser and annoying them. Most likely, the pop-ups were caused by a browser hijacker that was installed without their knowledge. So that’s not good.
Another problem is that Info.com seems to be associated with Infospace. And Infospace is responsible for a few other browser hijackers and redirect viruses, including Webcrawler and Msxml.excite.com. Webcrawler is especially suspicious, as web analytics indicates a connection to various SearchGG sites, like Losx.xyz. Infospace’s search engines are often used by hijackers and malicious sites.
How to remove Info.com redirect virus
To remove Info.com, it’s important to find out how it hijacked your computer. Is there an unfamiliar browser extension installed in your browser? Is there a bad application on your computer?
If you want to do things manually, go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list (Windows) or open Finder and go to the Applications folder (Mac OS) and look for suspicious programs. Remember when Info.com first started redirecting your browser and look at the applications that were installed around that time.
If you find an unwanted program, uninstall it from there. It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings.
Go to your browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, etc.) settings and check all of your extensions. Try disabling all of them and see if Info.com redirects still happen. If they don’t, enable your extensions one-by-one till you find the culprit.
If you’re okay with automatic tools, scan your computer with Spyhunter for Windows, Combo Cleaner for Mac OS, Malwarebytes for either, or another trusted antivirus program. They can identify suspicious programs and browser extensions quite well.
Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
Automatic Malware removal tools
TopHow To remove Info.com Redirect Virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Info.com Redirect Virus, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How to remove Info.com Redirect Virus from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Info.com Redirect Virus and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.
How To remove Info.com Redirect Virus from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Info.com Redirect Virus related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.