Gadgetbox virus is one more browser hijacker that is promoted through freeware applications that you can download from the Internet. The program changes your default search provider and your homepage to search.gboxapp.com or searchiy.gboxapp.com. It also installs Gadgetbox toolbar to your Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers. These are not only annoying changes but they also have unpleasant consequences related to redirection and excessive amount of ads.
The program gets into random computers bundled with various free applications. So if you want to avoid getting such programs to your system, you should pay attention to what you are downloading to your PC and check the installation processes. Usually you will be able to see programs that are bundled together at one of the steps of the installation. That’s where you have to refuse installing any unknown applications. Otherwise, they will be added to your system automatically.
If you got Gadgetbox virus on your computer, you should know that the program can collect information about your browsing habits. What is more, it causes tons of redirects to unknown websites where you can definitely get infected. It is highly recommended to remove Gadgetbox virus from your computer if you have noticed this badware on your system. Below we explain how to do it.
Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings. Scan with Spyhunter as it identifies such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see Gadgetbox listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your PC doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your browsers. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove Gadgetbox from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Automatic Malware removal tools