Search.funsafetabsearch.com is another rogue browser extension by Imali Media. It joins the group of hijackers under the names of: Search.cooliosearch.com, Topsocialtabsearch.com, Happygamesearch.com, etc. Imali Media has long been infamous. It is not concerned with the development of helpful software, but rather, with questionable advertising businesses that bring no benefit to the users of their extensions. Consequently, having Search.funsafetabsearch.com on one’s computer will do more harm than good.
Funsafetabsearch Virus quicklinks
- Search.funsafetabsearch.com is a browser hijacker
- How does Search.funsafetabsearch.com infect computers?
- How to remove FunSafeTab
- Automatic Malware removal tools
- Manual removal of Search.funsafetabsearch.com virus
- How to remove funsafetabsearch Virus using Windows Control Panel
- How to remove funsafetabsearch Virus from macOS
Search.funsafetabsearch.com is not a new threat, as it’s been around for years. By itself, Search.funsafetabsearch.com is only mildly dangerous – it collects usage data and restricts your web browsing. It makes money from affiliate links. It being set as your home page can indicate the presence of more serious malware on your computer. FunSafeTab, like other hijackers, uses adware and bundlers to spread. This means that some users of Search.funsafetabsearch.com may have adware or bundlers on their devices.
Search.funsafetabsearch.com is basically useless – its functionality begins and ends with pinning a few links to various popular websites on the home page, which is a feature that popular browsers have by default. And since FunSafeTab prevents you from setting your own home page or search provider, there’s pretty much no upside to it. Removing Search.funsafetabsearch.com is probably the best thing to do for your security, privacy, and browser customization.
Short description of the symptoms and solution to the FunSafeTab hijacker:
|Symptoms||Search.funsafetabsearch.com as the new tab page in your browser.
Search results in search.yahoo.com.
Ads are more than using unaffected browsers.
|Dangers||Low-quality ads can expose you to scams, malware, and restricted content.
Websites load slower.
More ads make web searching less efficient.
Private information collected by FunSafeTab might be used irresponsibly.
|Remove Search.funsafetabsearch.com||Remove adware and malware from the computer (SpyHunter for PC, Combo Cleaner for Mac).
Uninstall FunSafeTab and other unwanted extensions manually.
Block unwanted notifications.
Search.funsafetabsearch.com is a browser hijacker
After FunSafeTab is installed, it sets Search.funsafetabsearch.com as your new home page. Now, Search.funsafetabsearch.com is your lobby to the internet.
This is bad. Search.funsafetabsearch.com offers a web search bar, but this only goes to Yahoo through a partner link. In addition, Search.funsafetabsearch.com collects usage information (as does Yahoo). It monitors you when you are online and all the activities you perform – from the pages you visit to your geolocation at the time. As a result, you have less choice in how to browser the web and less privacy while doing it.
Indeed, Search.funsafetabsearch.com may redirect you to promoted websites. Remember that while FunSafeTab is installed, it can close and open browser tabs. In addition, Search.funsafetabsearch.com may use notification messages to spread unwanted advertisements.
As for the services, Search.funsafetabsearch.com offers a few links and widgets. There’s a password-protected note tool, a tool to scan URLs (not all offered scanners work), an online file encrypter (for privacy’s sake, you should use offline tools for that), and a link to Virustotal.com (great website).
What Search.funsafetabsearch.com does you can do better with browser bookmarks.
How does Search.funsafetabsearch.com infect computers?
FunSafeTab is typically transferred via freeware downloaded from unreliable distributors through a practice called bundling.
Some software hosting sites get paid by adware devs to bundle adware with the free programs that you then download from those sites. If the distributor is paid per installation of FunSafeTab, they’re also incentivized to make the hijacker difficult to notice during setup.
It is always advisable to perform the installation in Advanced/Custom settings and to make sure that no pre-checked boxes agreeing to the offers remain.
Online, FunSafeTab is advertised online as a security tool. It says it will scan files for threats. But it doesn’t really do that; it gives you a link to a website that allows you to upload small files so that they can be scanned for malware.
Oh, and Search.funsafetabsearch.com takes over your browser, manipulates searches, and collects your data, but that is all in small print. FunSafeTab’s developers know that people wouldn’t want this extension if they knew what it’s really like.
How to remove FunSafeTab
If you got infected with the parody of a search engine that is FunSafeTab, there are two basic ways to solve the issue: you can automatically remove it with professional malware removal tools – Spyhunter for PC, Combo Cleaner for Mac, others – or try manual removal. Or combine the two.
Automatic removal is always recommended against the manual as it is simpler and offers a chance to find other malware lurking on the computer, but if your PC is not infected with any other malware, manually uninstalling FunSafeTab should be enough. The tutorial for manual removal of Search.funsafetabsearch.com browser hijacker is displayed below.
If Search.funsafetabsearch.com displays ads even after you have removed FunSafeTab, then block notifications from it and other sites in your notification settings.
Automatic Malware removal tools
Manual removal of Search.funsafetabsearch.com virus
How to remove funsafetabsearch Virus using Windows Control PanelMany hijackers and adware like Search.funsafetabsearch.com Virus install some of their components as regular Windows programs as well as additional software. This part of malware can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. To access it, do the following.
- Start→Control Panel (older Windows) or press Windows Key→Search and enter Control Panel and then press Enter (Windows 8, Windows 10).
- Choose Uninstall Program (if you don't see it, click in the upper right next to "View by" and select Category).
- Go through the list of programs and select entries related to funsafetabsearch Virus . You can click on "Name" or "Installed On" to reorder your programs and make Search.funsafetabsearch.com Virus easier to find.
- Click the Uninstall button. If you're asked if you really want to remove the program, click Yes.
- In many cases anti-malware programs are better at detecting related parasites, thus I recommend installing Spyhunter to identify other programs that might be a part of this infection.
How to remove funsafetabsearch Virus from macOSDelete Search.funsafetabsearch.com Virus from your applications.
- Open Finder.
- In the menu bar, click Go.
- Select Applications from the dropdown.
- Find the funsafetabsearch Virus app.
- Select it and right-click it (or hold the Ctrl and click the left mouse button).
- In the dropdown, click Move to Bin/Trash. You might be asked to provide your login password.
TopHow To remove Search.funsafetabsearch.com Virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select More Tools→Extensions
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Manage Search engines
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your homepage was changed, click on Chrome menu on the top right corner, select Settings. Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click on Set pages.
- Delete malicious search websites at a new Startup pages window by clicking “X” next to them.
(Optional) Reset your browser’s settings
If you are still experiencing any issues related to Search.funsafetabsearch.com Virus, reset the settings of your browser to its default settings.
- Click on a Chrome’s menu button (three horizontal lines) and select Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click on theReset browser settings button.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
If you cannot reset your browser settings and the problem persists, scan your system with an anti-malware program.
How To remove Search.funsafetabsearch.com Virus from Firefox:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions and Addons list, remove everything Search.funsafetabsearch.com Virus related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Options → General. Enter a preferable URL to the homepage field and click Restore to Default.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- ChooseTroubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on theReset Firefox button.
- Click on the Reset Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove Search.funsafetabsearch.com Virus from Microsoft Edge:Top
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Microsoft Edge window. Select “Extensions”.
- Select all malicious extensions and delete them.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the browser toolbar and Select Settings
- Select Privacy and Services and scroll down. Press on Address bar.
- Choose Manage search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list: open the three-dot menu and choose Remove.
- Go back to Settings. Open On start-up.
- Delete malicious search websites at Open specific page or pages by opening the three-dot menu and clicking Delete.
- Click on Edge's menu button and select Settings. Click on the Reset Settings button on the left.
- Press the Restore settings to their default values option.
- Click on the Reset button on the confirmation box.
How to remove Search.funsafetabsearch.com Virus from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall funsafetabsearch Virus and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.