Faststartpage.com is yet another infection that can attack your computer. It is listed as browser hijacker, so once inside of your system it most probably will change some settings on your web browsers. Even though this virus is not very dangerous, we do not recommend to keep it installed. In case you have recently discovered that Faststartpage.com is operating on your computer but don’t know how to deal with it, you have come to the right place. In this article we will provide you with detailed instructions how to get rid of it either manually or automatically, thus feel free to choose the method that fits your needs the best.
The easiest and most efficient way to remove infection like this is to do it automatically. Simply download reliable anti-malware application, such as Spyhunter, instal it on your computer and then run a full scan of all files stored on your hard drive. Either one of these applications should detect and eliminate the threat in no time. It will also protect your computer from similar infections in the future, so it’s worth to keep it installed. You can use other anti-malware software of your choice too.
However, if for some reasons you don’t want to download any additional anti-malware software, you can get rid of Faststartpage.com manually. This process might be complicated, therefore we have developed a step-by-step Faststartpage.com manual removal guide – scroll down below this article and check it out. Do your best to complete all steps correctly and you should be able to eliminate Faststartpage.com manually by your own.
If you have faced some difficulties during the removal – feel free to ask us for help in the comments section below. We will do our best to answer them all. To learn more about specific features of Faststartpage.com please continue reading this article.
About Faststartpage.com browser hijacker
Faststartpage.com is trying to create an image of reliable and useful search engine, that could replace Google, Yahoo or any other search engine that you currently use. However, it is not true and you should not trust it and we suggest not to use it.
If you attempt to search for something using Faststartpage.com you will notice a lot of sponsored results that are not relevant to your search queries. That means you will waste your time this way. In addition to that, various malicious websites might hide under those links, thus you should not click on them.
If it happens so that you click on the link displayed by Faststartpage.com you will be immediately redirected to other websites that might be owned by various cyber criminals, such as hackers or scammers. This way your computer can get infected with other viruses or if you attempt to purchase something there you can even get scammed and lose your hard earned money.
Faststartpage.com operates as browser add-on that can be added to all most common web browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or even Safari. That means Apple users can get infected as well.
Faststartpage.com also has some features of a browser hijacker – once inside of your system it will display various ads on your web browsers. Those ads can be displayed in all kinds of forms, such as pop-up, pop-under, in-text, banner or contextual advertisements. New tab or even window with ads on it can be opened at any time as well.
Usually ads displayed by Faststartpage.com appear when you are visiting e-commerce websites, such as eBay or Amazon. You will be offered to purchase some particular goods or services at very appealing price rate. Do not fall for that trick – most of the time those offers are fake, they are just trying to win your attention and make you click on one of those ads this way.
TopRemove shortcut hijack (all browsers) (optional): If your browser opens Faststartpage.com page on startup only, try this:
- Right click on your browser icon. Choose Properties;
- Open Short cut tab;
- Delete Faststartpage.com part from target field.
TopHow to remove Faststartpage.com from Google Chrome on Mac:
- Open Chrome browser.
- Enter in the url field “chrome://extensions” address and hit Enter.
- Find Faststartpage.com on the extensions list and click on the recycle bin icon next to it.
- Click on 'Chrome' button at the top left corner. Select 'Preferences' on a drop-down menu box.
- Find 'Search' options on Settings tab. If your search engine is changed, click 'Manage Search Engines' and set your preferred search engine.
- On the same page find 'Show home button' checkbox and change your homepage.
- On the 'Preferences' menu window, scroll down to the bottom and find 'Reset settings' button. Click it.
- Confirm your selection and click 'Reset' on the following window.
How To remove Faststartpage.com from Firefox on Mac OS:
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla window and select the “Add-ons” icon (Or press cmd+Shift+A on your keyboard).
- Go through Extensions list, remove everything Faststartpage.com related and items you do not recognise. If you do not know the extension and it is not made by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe then you probably do not need it.
- Enter “about:preferences” in URL bar and hit enter.
- Open Search settings tab.
- If your search engine is changed, click 'Default Search Engines' and set your preferred search engine.
- If your homepage was changed, click on the Firefox menu in the top right corner, select Preferences-> General. Enter a preferable URL to the home page field.
- Click on the menu button on the top right corner of a Mozilla Firefox window. Click on the Help button.
- Choose Troubleshooting Information on the Help menu.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox button.
- Click on the Refresh Firefox button on the confirmation box. Mozilla Firefox will close and change the settings to default.
How to remove Faststartpage.com from Safari:TopRemove malicious extensions
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences.
- Select Extensions and uninstall Faststartpage.com and other suspicious extensions.
- If your homepage was changed, click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Preferences and choose General tab. Enter preferable URL to the homepage field.
- Click on Safari menu on the top left corner of the screen. Select Reset Safari…
- Select which options you want to reset (usually all of them come preselected) and click on the Reset button.
Automatic Malware removal tools