EC3 Europol virus is a malicious program that belongs to one of the most popular ransomware family. It is a program that spreads to computers through email attachments or comes bundled with some software that you are downloading by yourself. Once inside, the program locks your computer immediately, displaying one message on your computer screen that states you have committed some serious crimes.
EC3 Europol virus attacks systems all over the world. It displays messages in different languages claiming that you have been using copyrighted content or you are included into distribution of pornographic content. It tells you to pay a fine that can vary from 100 to 300 euros or sometimes dollars depending on which country this badware is attacking. It also uses names of well known authorities to make you think that you are actually accused by some governmental institution.
You must know that EC3 Europol virus displays bogus notification that has nothing to do with police or other law authorities. It is a scam that was created by cyber criminals and they only want to get some money from you. You should not pay anything under any circumstances as you will only lose your money. Beware that if you actually get involved into some crime, you would be warned about it in different ways. Police would never do it through a message on your computer. Remove EC3 Europol virus from your system immediately after its detection.
If there is more than one user account on an infected computer and at least one of them is not blocked, login to this account. You should scan whole PC with anti-malware programs, e.g. Spyhunter. YOu can also try System Restore. If that does not work, restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking and perform the following steps:
- Restart your computer. Press F8 while it is restarting.
- Choose safe mode or safe mode with networking. If you cannot select this option go to Method II.
- Launch MSConfig.
- Disable startup items rundll32 turning on any application from Application Data. Please note, that other locations can be also used.
- Restart the system once again.
- Scan with https://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe. It should detect and delete EC3 Europol Virus. Watch a video guide illustrating the steps above:
If this fails, try Safe mode with Command Prompt:
- Restart your computer choosing Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Run Regedit.
- Search for WinLogon Entries. Write down all files it references that are not explorer.exe or blank. Replace them with explorer.exe.
- Search registry for the EC3 Europol Virus files and delete the registry keys referencing the files.
- Try to reboot and scan with Spyhunter.
- Here’s a video guide that illustrates the removal:
Automatic Malware removal tools