DefaultTab virus is a browser hijacker that belongs to Search Results LLC. The program is installed to random systems together with other software. Basically the application adds the DefaultTab search bar to your browser without your permission. It also changes some other settings of Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome therefore your homepage and default search provider are replaced with those promoted by the toolbar, usually with mysearchresults.com.
Although DefaultTab virus is not very dangerous by itself, it causes lots of inconveniences and increases a risk of getting your computer infected with malware while redirecting to malicious sites. First of all, it causes redirects to many unknown websites which can be infected. Second, it modifies your search results by adding many unknown links expecting you to visit them. Basically, it seeks to improve these sites’ page ranking and that can be very disturbing for the users. Moreover, DefaultTab virus can sell the information about your browsing activities to the third parties which can use this data for malicious purposes.
So although it is not harming your system directly, DefaultTab virus leads to many security related issues. Security experts advice to be very careful about your downloads and not to allow installing any unknown applications to your computer, especially when they come bundled with other software. Remove DefaultTab virus from your PC as soon as you detect it there.
First, you will have to remove it from Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list . It is recommended to uninstalling ALL programs installed on the same date as problems have appeared. Some versions of this virus installs software that block browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Spyhunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
How To remove DefaultTab virus from Internet Explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove the DefaultTab or mysearchresults.com from the list
How To remove DefaultTab virus from Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: Close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. enter user.js in search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove DefaultTab virus from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Automatic Malware removal tools