Bitlord Toolbar is one more browser hijacker that can affect Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. It is installed together with Bitlord – a free torrent program. The hijacker is based on Conduit platform, which changes search to search.conduit.com and installs other PUPs and malware.
During installation you are asked to activate additional software that provides “Value”. Do not be mistaken – the search protect module is used to cheat you and other modules are completely useless including the value app extension/programs. There are no useful functions added so it is better to remove the addons and keep your browser clean. Search Protect is used to freeze your browser search settings so you can not revert to regular search engines even after conduit gets removed from your PC. This is quite a sneaky approach.
This program is distributed using both their own website and other download sites. These sites might include additional malware packed together, so I recommend being very cautions when installing Bitlord.
To remove the hijacker, go to control panel and uninstall both Conduit-based Value Apps and Search Protection. It is up to you to keep Bitlord, though. Scan your PC with Spyhunter or Malwarebytes to get rid of other adware.
To reset search hijacking, do following:
How to remove Bitlord search hijack from Internet Explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove conduit from the list
How to remove Bitlord search hijack from Firefox:
- Make sure Value Apps got removed and there is no user.js file or it is empty.
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: Close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. enter user.js in search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How to remove Bitlord search hijack from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Automatic Malware removal tools