Allmyweb.com virus is usually promoted via free downloads from the internet. This browser hijacker adds AllMyWeb Toolbar to users’ web browsers and sets homepage to search.yahoo.com as well as a default search engine to allmyweb.com.
It is not exactly a virus, but definitely a PUP (potentially unwanted program). This status is referred to it mostly because of annoying ads that are shown to users with infected computers and private information (such as search queries) hijacking. All these actions are done in order to boost advertising revenue and counterfeit search results with the aim to raise a traffic of a certain website.
Allmyweb.com browser hijacker is often bundled with some free software or documents that can be downloaded from the internet. In fact, this toolbar is commonly distributed on many popular download sites like CNET, Brothersoft or Softonic. If you have downloaded something from these or similar websites, chances are high that your computer were affected by this browser hijacker. In many cases users are not even aware that they have installed something like this on their computers.
You need to be extraordinary careful during the installation of any new software downloaded from the internet. Sometimes you can agree to change your default search engine or homepage just by agreeing to all the terms and conditions. It seems like a boring and tiresome job to read all the small print of installation wizard instructions, but it is essential in this situation. And do not forget to always opt out for a custom installation. It’s just to make sure you don’t install anything you don’t want to.
How to remove Allmyweb.com virus from Internet Explorer (older versions):
- Click on the arrow on the right of the search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on IE7 click Change search defaults;
- Remove Allmyweb from the list.
How to remove Allmyweb.com virus from IE 11:
- Click on the Settings icon (top right)->Manage Addons;
- Select Search Providers;
- Change the default search engine to Bing or Google;
- If any of these search providers is not available, follow “Find more search providers” in the bottom of the screen and install Google.
How to remove Allmyweb.com virus from Firefox:
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it and reset it;
- Type “browser.startup.homepage” in the search box. Right click it and reset;
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on every new tab;
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. Enter user.js in the search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How to remove Allmyweb.com virus from Google Chrome:
- Click on the 3 horizontal lines icon on a browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page (you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
- If your New Tab page is hijacked, you will have to scan with anti-malware program or use New Tab Redirect extension from Chrome Store.
Automatic Malware removal tools