AirZip hijacker is a toolbar that can be installed to your computer together with Airzip, which is a free compression utility for PC. The latter one can be downloaded from its official website and it’s a completely reliable tool. However, some users who have downloaded this application recently, also noticed a new toolbar added to their Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome straight after its installation. The program has also replaced their homepage and search provider to airzip.inspsearch.com or mystart.airzipper.com.
Although both of these websites look like most of search pages they actually have some other goals. AirZip hijacker was designed to advertise several commercial websites and it is used to make affiliate revenue. If you enter any search query on airzip.inspsearch.com, it will list sponsored websites in your search results. This way, the program increases traffic of commercial pages by forcing users to visit them and also make money for every redirect. AirZip hijacker may also track your search queries and other information about your browsing habits. As a result, in the future it can display targeted advertisements.
If you have to install AirZip to your computer but you want to avoid any changes in your browser settings, you have to be more careful with its installation steps. Go for Custom installation and if you see any already selected for you confirmation boxes offering to replace your homepage or make other modifications that can cause unknown consequences, deselect them. Many free legitimate programs are used to distribute other applications and this is one more case of it.
If any of your browsers was affected by AirZip hijacker, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list and uninstall AirZip Toolbar from there. It is recommended to uninstalling ALL programs installed on the same date as problems have appeared. Some versions of this hijacker install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Spyhunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
How To remove AirZip hijacker from Internet Explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove the AirZip Toolbar from the list
How To remove AirZip hijacker from Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: Close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. enter user.js in search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove AirZip hijacker from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Automatic Malware removal tools