What is SmitFraudFix?
SmitFraudFix is a freeware specialized spyware removal tool. The application features a fairly large spyware definition database, but it is specialized on a certain type of spyware and deals only with SmitFraud rogue anti-spyware and its clones, such as AdwarePunisher, AdwareSheriff, SpywareStrike and SpyFalcon. Worm, trojan, remote administration tool parasites or more sophisticated spyware parasites cannot be removed by this program.
SmitFraudFix uses OS safe-mode removal as base for its spyware removal technology, which means that you will have to restart your computer and launch it in safe-mode to check and remove spyware with this anti-spyware tool. Although this is a rather time-consuming and irritating procedure, it must be noted that SmitFraudFix is freeware.
Although SmitFraudFix is able to remove many rogue anti-spyware parasites, it may be difficult to use for inexperienced users, as the program features virtually no graphical user interface and is executed in MSDOS-mode. Some of SmithFraudFix users reported, that this program would render the windows unusable (Blue screen of death). This might be connected with parasite coctail on their pc or unknown version of the parasites.
Unfortunately, SmitFraudFix offers no real-time protection, which means that you can only remove parasites when your system has already been infected, and the damage could be already done. That said, SmitFraudFix will not protect your system from parasites as it is a specialized spyware remover. However, if you are able to detect an infection, it is possible to remove some threats with this application.
For effecient real-time anti-spyware protection and maximum malware removal rate, we recommend using Spyware Doctor free scanner, SuperAntiSpyware (free for personal use).
How to use SmitFraudFix?
You can download SmithFraudFix here.
Searching for spyware infection:
- Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe to start the application.
- Select 1 and press Enter to create a scan report. You can find this report at the root of the system drive, usually it will be located at C:\rapport.txt.
- Restart your computer. Before the Windows loading screen appears, keep pressing F8 until you see the boot menu. Select Safe Mode.
- Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
- Select 2 and press Enter to clean your system by deleting infected files.
- You will be prompted: Do you want to clean the registry ? Answer Y (yes) and press Enter in order to remove the hijacked Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.
- SmitFraudFix will then check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found): Replace infected file ? Answer Y (yes) and press Enter to restore a clean file.
- You may have to restart your computer in order to finish the spyware removal process. You can find a report on spyware removal at the root of the system drive. Usually it will be located at C:\rapport.txt.
Although the tool removes parasites described, most of these parasites are installed using trojans or other types of parasites that can not be removed using it. This means that infections may and will reoccur and your system is not clean although you will not see any signs for a while. Also, some users had reported that SmithFraudFix causes the PC to hang. Although this problem was fixed, be sure that you read system requirements for this tool and download the last version.