Xfinity Toolbar - How to remove?
Xfinity toolbar is a browser add-on that has been developed by Comcast. The main purpose of this program is to provide users easier and quicker access to their email and a few other features that are meant to improve your browsing experience. However, recently Xfinity toolbar was noticed to be installed to Internet browsers without user consent and for this reason, the program has been categorized as an unwanted application.
Xfinity toolbar comes bundled with some free downloads. Usually you are able to choose whether you want some extra applications to be downloaded at one of the last steps of installation. However, computer users tend to skip this step just because they are in a rush and they want the installation to finish as soon as possible. This way they end up receiving unwanted programs.
Once inside, Xfinity toolbar changes the settings of Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers. Your default search engine is changed to search.comcast.com and your homepage to xfinity.comcast.com. If you try to make some search you will see that the results are quite different form the ones given, for example, by Google. Xfinity tends to display lots of sponsored links and advertisements. The program also collects information about your visited websites and later uses this information for marketing purposes.
Always be careful about what you are installing and deselect the option to download any unwanted extra programs while installing anything from the Internet especially free programs. You should remove Xfinity toolbar from your system if you have already noticed its actions on your machine. Go to Start -> Control Panel, click on “Uninstall Program” on Programs area. Look for anything related to Xfinity toolbar on a list of programs and click of Uninstall/Change button next to it. Depending on what browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
- Open IE and go to ‘Tools‘ → ”Manage Add-ons’.
- Choose ‘Toolbars and Extensions’ and uninstall everything related to Xfinity from the list.
- Choose ‘Search Providers’ → choose the search engine you used before and make it your default search provider. Additionally, select ‘Web Search’, click ‘Disable suggestions’ to disable it.
- Go ‘Tools’ → ‘Internet Options’ and select ‘General’ tab. Click ‘Use default’ or enter your own website name, google.com or other. Finally, click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ → ‘Add-ons’.
- Choose ‘Extensions’ → Xfinity and click ‘Uninstall’.
- Go ‘Tools’ → ‘Options’. Finally, reset the startup homepage or change it to google.com.
For Google Chrome:
- Click on the icon ‘Customize and control Google Chrome’, select ‘Options’.
- Choose ‘Basic’ Options and change Google Chrome homepage to google.com or any other browser and then click the ‘Manage search engines…’ button.
- Choose ‘Google’ and make it your default search engine.
Finally, run a full system scan using a reputable antispyware program, for example, Spyhunter. Don’t forget upgrading it to its latest version before performing system scan.
Automatic Xfinity Toolbar removal toolsWe might be affiliated with some of these programs. Full information is available in disclosure
Manual Xfinity Toolbar removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Xfinity Toolbar, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.