Websearch.searchboxes.info Virus - How To Remove?
WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus is a browser hijacker that is distributed using trojans or bundle downloads. Typically, it is hidden in installer for “movies” or utilities and is installed together with other unwanted programs, like rogue registry cleaners and browser settings freezers. This makes the hijacker highly undesirable and annoying.
The WebSearch.Searchboxes.info domain itself is used as doorway to promote smartaddressbar or tuvaro search engines, as they might be blocked automatically by the browser or your antivirus. It is registered in June only, and might be used for couple months till new domain will take place. This shows that the makers of these rogue search engines are on the run from security programs. They still try to earn money by displaying blended advertisements in their low quality search pages and using adware programs to further annoy you.
Websearch.searchboxes.info removal guide
To remove Websearch.searchboxes.info, you will have to launch control panel first.
Uninstall all software that look related to this search tool, including SafeSaver, Saffe Savve, Search Assistant Websearch, SearchNew Tab and others. Some of these programs might prevent browser from resetting search settings and you would be stuck with this rogue search engine. I always recommend scanning with anti-malware programs to detect if there are no other malicious programs, so run Spyhunter scan.
After this, you will have to reset browser Search settings. This will differ from browser to browser.
Remove Websearch.searchboxes.info from Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove the Websearch.searchboxes.info search engines from the list
Remove Websearch.searchboxes.info from Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- You might have to delete user.js from your Firefox data directory as well.
Remove Websearch.searchboxes.info from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar
- Select Settings
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines
- Remove Websearch.searchboxes.info from list
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).