Softonic hijacker - How to remove?
Softonic hijacker is a browser extension that infiltrates into computers without user’s consent. It is considered to be a potentially dangerous program as it increases the chances of getting the system infected and disturbs your normal work with PC. Softonic hijacker changes your homepage and a default search engine to search.softonic.com. Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide the same search results as most of the popular search engines, for example, google or bing. The search tool displays lots of unknown links making your search results irrelevant. Its main aim is to promote specific pages.
Softonic hijacker infiltrates to browsers bundled with other programs that computer users download from the Internet. Although it is possible to avoid installing this application, many users don’t give much attention to the installation steps when they are adding some program. In order to protect your computer from changes that Softonic hijacker makes you should remove the check box for its installation when adding the main program. If you do not do this it will be infiltrated to the computer automatically.
Many users complain about this application because it is not that easy to get rid of it and it causes many problems. As already mentioned it doesn’t provide accurate search results. In addition, it constantly redirects you to unknown websites and causes a risk to get your system infected. If you got this unwanted program on your computer too, you are highly recommended to remove it as soon as possible. Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall Softonic from there. It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings. Scan with Spyhunter as it identifies such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see Softonic listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove Softonic from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Automatic Softonic hijacker removal toolsWe might be affiliated with some of these programs. Full information is available in disclosure
Manual Softonic hijacker removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Softonic hijacker, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Softonic hijacker infected files and get help in Softonic hijacker removal by using Spyhunter scanner.