How to remove Smart Guard Protection
Smart Guard Protection is a fake antivirus program that belongs to WinWebSec family of rogues. This family is known for releasing such rogues like Antivirus Security Pro, System Doctor 2014, System Progressive Protection, etc. All of these applications are trying to rip computer users off by pretending to be legitimate security tools. Just like its predecessors, Smart Guard Protection is installed to computers with a help of Trojan viruses, without users’ consent.
Once inside, the program simulates a system scan. It runs a scanner every time your computer boots up. After a couple of minutes, Smart Guard Protection reports that your PC is badly infected and recommends purchasing its full version so it could remove all malicious threats. In fact, the program can not either detect or remove anything. It completely falsifies the scan results in order to make users pay for a useless application.
When Smart Guard Protection is installed, it also makes some changes in your system. You will be constantly receiving various security notifications reporting about system errors or other security related issues that are supposedly harming your computer. It will also restrict the use of your legitimate programs so you couldn’t do much on your PC and purchase Smart Guard Protection expecting to fix everything. Here’s a message that may pop up if your computer was infected:
Warning! Infected file detected
Location: File System
Suspicious activity detected in the application notepad.exe to the behavior of the virus Win32/Conficker.X. For your security and to avoid loss of data, the operation of application notepad.exe has been temporarily restricted.
You are highly recommended to remove Smart Guard Protection as soon as you detect it on your computer. If you have other user account available, run antimalware scan, e.g. Spyhunter after logging to it. If you can run a full system scan, this rogue can be removed. This is a very good reason to keep a separate administrator account that is used for such situations only.
You can also try fake-registering Smart Guard Protection using this code: AA39754E-216A8FF3. Thanks to S!Ri for sharing it. Remember that it will not remove the program, but only stop its activity for a while so you can run an antispyware and eliminate the application. If neither work, follow the instruction below.
Special removal instructions of Smart Guard Protection
- Reboot, while system boot starts press F8.
- Choose safe mode with networking.
- Start->Run enter http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe . Save file on a place you remember. Reboot normally.
- Rename Spyhunter installer from .exe extension to .com extension and run. You will need to be able to see extensions of the known file types. This will restore .exe file associations.
- Install and scan with Spyhunter, Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other anti-malware programs (they should be able to install and run normally now). Delete Smart Guard Protection startup entries and follow the instructions.