Searchrocket hijacker - How to remove?
Searchrocket hijacker is an annoying application that gets into Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and causes many inconveniences for the users. The program is distributed to random computers bundled with various free applications from the Internet, like video players and similar tools. Although the user has an option to refuse installing Searchrocket, this step is usually skipped just because of rushing.
Once inside the computer, Searchrocket hijacker modifies your browser settings. It alters your homepage and search provider to websearch.searchrocket.info. The program is also closely related to Smart Address Bar browser extension and even uses Smart Address Bar search. Your system will not run the same way as you will be experiencing numerous redirections, your search results will be modified by adding lots of sponsored websites to them. This way, you will pose risk of getting some malware to your system as you don’t what kind of website you have been redirected.
Beware that Searchrocker hijacker has an ability to track your online activities. It can record your browsing history and send this information to the remote server or sell it to third parties. This data is very valuable for marketing purposes. If you want to avoid these malicious actions on your computer, you should remove Searchrocket hijacker immediately after noticing its first steps on your system.
As it is not a malware program, the removal is not that complicated, unless your computer have been also infected with other threats. Go to to Start -> Control Panel, click on “Uninstall Program” on Programs area. Look for anything related to Searchrocket or Smart Address Bar on a list of programs and click of Uninstall/Change button next to it. Depending on what browser you use, follow the instructions below:
- Open IE and go to ‘Tools‘ → ”Manage Add-ons’.
- Choose ‘Toolbars and Extensions’ and uninstall everything related to Searchrocket and Smart Address Bar from the list.
- Choose ‘Search Providers’ → choose the search engine you used before and make it your default search provider. Additionally, select ‘Web Search’, click ‘Disable suggestions’ to disable it.
- Go ‘Tools’ → ‘Internet Options’ and select ‘General’ tab. Click ‘Use default’ or enter your own website name, google.com or other. Finally, click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ → ‘Add-ons’.
- Choose ‘Extensions’ → Searchrocket or/and Smart Address Bar and click ‘Uninstall’.
- Go ‘Tools’ → ‘Options’. Finally, reset the startup homepage or change it to google.com.
For Google Chrome:
- Click on the icon ‘Customize and control Google Chrome’, select ‘Options’.
- Choose ‘Basic’ Options and change Google Chrome homepage to google.com or any other browser and then click the ‘Manage search engines…’ button.
- Choose ‘Google’ and make it your default search engine.
Finally, run a full system scan using a reputable antispyware program, for example, Spyhunter. Don’t forget upgrading it to its latest version before performing system scan. Check the video below that illustrates how to remove this type of hijacker from your browser: