Searchdwebs virus - How to remove?
Searchdwebs virus aka websearch.searchdwebs.info is a browser hijacker that promotes malicious search services, currently whitesmoke search. Typically, one gets such hijacker by installing software bundles – a group of softwares where only one of them performs useful function and others are installed as “offers” and try to make money for their makers. Searchdwebs hijacker is no different. While it won’t demand money from you like other parasites, it will show advertisements in search and promote unreliable domains.
The Searchdwebs virus is not new : many similar domains were used in the past, though the search back-end promoted were different. We have seen Smart Address Bar, Tuvaro, Claro search and now Whitesmoke as search backend and it shows that many hijackers are in fact related.
The most nasty thing about websearch.searchdwebs.info is that you can’t simply uninstall it: The search engine settings will stay in your browser till you fix that manually or with help of specialized software. Thus you will need special removal instructions :
- Try uninstalling Searchdwebs virus. You should go to Control Panel Add and Remove Programs list, locate the application there and remove it. If you do not see Searchdwebs related entries, use Spyhunter, it will detect any browser hijackers and adware that might have come with it or might have been hiden/saved under another name. Additionally, hijackers might have installed software that prevents browser settings from being changed. Such software ranges from legitimate on to trojan – based only. Make sure you scan your PC with anti-malware programs or your browser settings might revert to hijacked ones
- Check if there is no Searchdwebs left among browser extensions:
- For Internet Explorer: Go to “Tools” (or gear icon in Internet Explorer 9), -> “Manage Add-ons”. Look for Searchdwebs and disable these entries.
- For Google Chrome: Click on the wrench or bars icon on the top right of the screen; go to “Tools”-> “Extensions”. If you see any extensions related to Searchdwebs, click on a trash can icon next to them.
- For Mozilla Firefox: Go to “Tools” -> “Add-ons” -> “Extensions”. If you see any extensions related to Searchdwebs virus, disable them.
- If your home page is still websearch.searchdwebs.info, remove it manually:
- For Internet Explorer go to Tools ->Internet Options. Remove websearch.searchdwebs.info and replace it with your preferred webpage.
- For Google Chrome click on the Customize icon -> Settings. Click Set Pages under the startup. Remove websearch.searchdwebs.info and replace it with your preferred webpage.
- For Mozilla Firefox go to Tools -> Options (or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options). Under the General tab remove websearch.searchdwebs.info and replace it with your preferred home page.
- If your search engine is still websearch.searchdwebs.info, reset it to the one you prefer:
- For Internet Explorer go to Tools -> Manage Add Ons -> .Search Providers, Select Google or bing as default engine and remove the websearch.searchdwebs.info search engine from the list.
- For Google Chrome go to the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) -> Settings -> Manage search engines -> select a new search engine as the default one -> click X next to websearch.searchdwebs.info to remove it.
- For Mozilla Firefox, click on the search magnify glass icon near the search box, click Manage Search Engines. Remove the websearch.searchdwebs.info from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking Remove. Alternatively, you might have to do these steps:
- Close Firefox, open %AppData% folder and search for user.js file. If it exists, rename it and relaunch Firefox again. This prevents some hijackers that revert settings on each FF restart
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
Note, that if Firefox settings revert, you will have to delete user.js file in your firefox folder and repeat the steps above. In all cases we recommend scanning with anti-malware programs to get rid of the original software bundle and other parasites that might have been downloaded with Searchdwebs.