SaltarSmart - How to remove?
SaltarSmart is an adware program that is responsible for displaying tons of ads containing discounts or coupons. The application generates money for its owners by taking infected users to commercial websites via displaying of various ads with links to them. The messages by SaltarSmart look like random advertisements offering discounts and better prices of certain products. They mainly appear on shopping websites to make sure people will be more motivated to click on them. If you press on any ads by SaltarSmart, you will immediately be redirected.
Although it is not a virus, the program acts as one by interrupting one’s work with frequent popups. Security experts recommend to be careful with ads shown by any adware including SaltarSmart. Even though it does not cause a direct harm to your PC, it cane reroute you to websites containing malicious threats. What is more, SaltarSmart tracks information about what you are doing on the Internet and send it to the remote server. It can even have access to your logins and passwords, which in fact violates your privacy and security.
You can avoid installing SaltarSmart. As the program comes bundled with various free software, all you have to do is check the installation steps of these programs and do not give permission to install any unknown applications. This is an easy way to avoid many potentially unwanted tools getting installed to your computer.
Get rid of SaltarSmart as soon as you start seeing its messages on your browser. Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome and remove it from there. If you do not see it listed, you should use antimalware tools like SpyHunter and scan your computer with it. If you had redirecting issues, you might need to reset your home page and search engine to the one you used before:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box;
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, on ie7 click change search defaults;
- Remove SaltarSmart from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page;
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it;
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar;
- Select Settings;
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines;
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list;
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Please note, it is very important to scan your computer with a reliable antimalware program after SaltarSmart is removed as it might be your system got infected with viruses while having it.