El Polocker Ransomware - How To Remove?
El Polocker (or Los Pollos Hermanos) ransomware aims at Australian users. This ransomware threat uses the popular AES encryption algorithm to encrypt the victim’s files. Just like CryptoFortress, El Polocker cryptomalware also encrypts unmapped open network shares. It has been speculated about its Romanian origin. These speculations spring from the mix of English and Romanian strings of the executables and the PowerShell script. It is said to feature the theme of ‘‘Breaking Bad’’ TV series. Thus, this ransomware is also referred to as Breaking Bad ransomware.
About El Polocker Ransomware
The asymmetric AES encryption employed by El Polocker file-encrypting virus involves the two keys: the public key and the private key. The public key dropped on your desktop is called seckeys.DONOTDELETE. However, the access to it is restricted. This ransomware virus targets files having the following filename extensions:
.jpg, .csv, .vsdx, ..ai, .pub, .one, .dotx, .xml, .doc, .xsl, .docx, . Xlsx, .crt, .pem, .p12, .db, .mp3, .jpg, .jpeg, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .rar, .zip, .psd, .msi, .tif, .wma, .lnk, .gif, .ppt, .pptx, .docm, .xlsm, .pps, .ppsx, .ods, .raw, .pst, .ost
El Polocker crypto malware appends .HA3 extension these data files. Each file is encrypted with the unique AES key. Then, the private RSA key is downloaded from the C&C (Command and Control) server to further encrypt the individual AES key.
The developers of Los Pollos Hermanos ransomware demands for 450 AUD to be payed in bitcoins. If you fail to pay within their specified period of time, the size of the ransom is threatened to be increased to 1000 AUD. The support e-mail given is email@example.com. The hackers offer to decrypt one file for free to prove their capability of restoring your data.
How is El Polocker Ransomware Spread?
Los Pollos Hermanos virus is a Trojan virus. It brings fake spam e-mails into play. The victim receives a spam e-mail of a fake DHL penalty notice requesting payment of unpaid fees. This e-mail contains a link to a zipped VBS file hosted on DropBox. The file is named Penalty.vbs. When an unsuspecting user opens the file, PowerShell script is executed and the victim’s data is damaged.
How to Decrypt Files Encrypted by El Polocker Ransomware?
There is no decryption key for the files encrypted by El Polocker cryptomalware to decrypt, which would be developed by cyber security experts. We highly recommend not to rush into paying the ransom. It would be a false step as the developers of the malware may ignore you. This file-encrypter deletes the Shadow Volume Copies, disables system restore and Windows Automatic Startup Repair function. Thus, if you have not got backup, try data recovery software such as R-Studio, PhotoRec, Recuva, etc.
Backing up your data and disk imaging are essential practices to be performed by each and every user. Back your untouched data on unmapped hard drives and make a copy of your infected hard drive and wait for the decryptor to be released, if you have not backed your files previously to be able to use the copies at the moment and if the data recovery tools did not manage to restore your infected files. Just remember the works of backup and restoration to implement after the removal of El Polocker virus have taken place. For the latter purpose employ Reimage or SpyHunter automatic malware removal utilities to have every corner of your computer’s system cleaned up. We also provide you with the tutorial for the manual removal of this ransomware virus. Head below.
- About El Polocker Ransomware
- How is El Polocker Ransomware Spread?
- How to Decrypt Files Encrypted by El Polocker Ransomware?
- Automatic El Polocker Ransomware removal tools
- How to recover El Polocker Ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
- Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
- Step 2. Complete removal of El Polocker Ransomware
- Step 3. Restore El Polocker Ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume Copies
- Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover El Polocker Ransomware encrypted files
- Removal guides in other languages
Automatic El Polocker Ransomware removal tools
How to recover El Polocker Ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
for Windows 7 / Vista/ XP
- Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- Press F8 key repeatedly until Advanced Boot Options window appears.
- Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
for Windows 8 / 10
- Press Power at Windows login screen. Then press and hold Shift key and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot → Advanced Options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- When it loads, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of Startup Settings.
2.Restore System files and settings.
- When Command Prompt mode loads, enter cd restore and press Enter.
- Then enter rstrui.exe and press Enter again.
- Click “Next” in the windows that appeared.
- Select one of the Restore Points that are available before Polocker Ransomware has infiltrated to your system and then click “Next”.
- To start System restore click “Yes”.
Step 2. Complete removal of El Polocker Ransomware
After restoring your system, it is recommended to scan your computer with an anti-malware program, like Reimage and remove all malicious files related to Polocker Ransomware. You can check other tools here.
Step 3. Restore El Polocker Ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume Copies
If you do not use System Restore option on your operating system, there is a chance to use shadow copy snapshots. They store copies of your files that point of time when the system restore snapshot was created. Usually Polocker Ransomware tries to delete all possible Shadow Volume Copies, so this methods may not work on all computers. However, it may fail to do so.
Shadow Volume Copies are only available with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. There are two ways to retrieve your files via Shadow Volume Copy. You can do it using native Windows Previous Versions or via Shadow Explorer.a) Native Windows Previous Versions
Right-click on an encrypted file and select Properties → Previous versions tab. Now you will see all available copies of that particular file and the time when it was stored in a Shadow Volume Copy. Choose the version of the file you want to retrieve and click Copy if you want to save it to some directory of your own, or Restore if you want to replace existing, encrypted file. If you want to see the content of file first, just click Open.
b) Shadow Explorer
It is a program that can be found online for free. You can download either a full or a portable version of Shadow Explorer. Open the program. On the left top corner select the drive where the file you are looking for is a stored. You will see all folders on that drive. To retrieve a whole folder, right-click on it and select “Export”. Then choose where you want it to be stored.
Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover El Polocker Ransomware encrypted files
There are several data recovery programs that might recover encrypted files as well. This does not work in all cases but you can try this:
- We suggest using another PC and connect the infected hard drive as slave. It is still possible to do this on infected PC though.
- Download Data Recovery Pro (commercial)
- Install and scan for recently deleted files.
Note: In many cases it is impossible to restore data files affected by modern ransomware. Thus I recommend using decent cloud backup software as precaution. We recommend checking out Carbonite, BackBlaze, CrashPlan or Mozy Home.