OtShot - How to remove?
OtShot is an adware application that is distributed to random systems through free software that you can download from the Internet. The program usually comes bundled with various music or video players, download managers and similar downloads. Although OtShot is not a virus it is an unwanted program and many computer users are trying to get rid of it.
First of all, you should be aware that you can avoid installing this program. Although OtShot doesn’t really warn you about its installation, whenever you are downloading something from the Internet you should check if the program contains additional applications. You can see that during the installation of that program and you should deselect options to install any unknown applications.
OtShot is a picture editing program that some users may find useful. However, if you received it unintentionally, it may not always be very pleasant. The worst part is that the program is interfering with your daily computer work. It can cause redirection to malicious websites and pose a risk to your security this way. Security experts recommend removing OtShot if it was noticed on a computer out of nowhere.
Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. Scan with Spyhunter as it identifies such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see OtShot listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove OtShot from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).