Luxembourg Police Grand-Ducale Virus - How To Remove?
Luxembourg Police Grand-Ducale Virus is a program that blocks your computer in order to get money from you. It displays a message that states you computer is locked because of law violations and asks to pay 100 euros if you want to unlock it. As you see the program uses a name of Luxembourg Police so it mainly attacks computers located in Luxembourg.
The virus displays a message on the infected computer accusing you of commiting criminal activities, such as illegal using and distributing of copyrighted files, keeping porno related content on your PC and so on. Such accusations scare people therefore it is not surprising many of the victims believe this scam and follow the instructions given in the message without double checking the information. You should know that it is a fake notice created by cyber criminals and under no circumstances you should pay anything it asks you. Memorize this message by Luxembourg Police Grand-Ducale Virus and never trust it:
Luxembourg Police Grand-Ducale
Attention! Votre ordinateur est bloqué à cause d’un ou de plusieurs motifs, indiqués ci-dessous. […]
Vous ne pouvez payer l’amende que pendant 72 heures après la violation. À l’expiration de 72 heures la possibilité de payer l’amende est annulée, une affaire pénale contre vous sera pendant prochaines 72 heures automatiquement ouverte! La somme de l’amende fait 100€.
As you see the message tells you to make a payment using Ukash or PaySafeCard payment systems saying that it is the easiest way to do that. However, you should understand that such methods would never be used by police or any other official institution. Luxembourg Police Grand-Ducale Virus is a clear scam that you shouldn’t fall for.
Remove Luxembourg Police Grand-Ducale Virus as soon as you notice it on your computer following the instructions below. Since there is more than one version of this badware, we provide several methods how to do it:
Method I – using unaffected user’s account
If you have more than one user’s account and at least one of them is not infected, login to it and scan your computer with Spyhunter. Luxembourg Police Grand-Ducale Virus will be removed and other users’ accounts unblocked.
Method II – using System Restore
- Press and hold F8 while it is restarting in order to select safe mode with a Command prompt.
- At the command prompt, type cd restore, and then press enter.
- Type rstrui.exe and press enter (for Windows Vista, 7 and 8, you should type : C:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe; for Windows XP – C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe).
- When the System Restore starts, select a restore point previous to this infection. Do not forget to scan your computer with Spyhunter for the malicious files to be removed.
Method III – using Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking
- Restart your computer. Press F8 while it is restarting.
- Choose safe mode or safe mode with networking.
- Launch MSConfig.
- Disable startup items rundll32 turning on any application from Application Data. Please note, that other locations can be also used.
- Restart the system once again.
- Scan with http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe. It should detect and delete Luxembourg Police Grand-Ducale Virus. Watch a video guide of a similar virus illustrating the steps above:
Method IV – using Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- Restart your computer choosing Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Run Regedit.
- Search for WinLogon Entries. Write down all files it references that are not explorer.exe or blank. Replace them with explorer.exe.
- Search registry for Luxembourg Police Grand-Ducale Virus files and delete the registry keys referencing the files.
- Try to reboot and scan with Spyhunter.
- Here’s a video guide that illustrates the removal of a similar virus: