Kontera - How To Remove?
Kontera is an adware that displays promotions based on keywords which pop up while you hover over text on web pages. It is a java script in text advertising platform just like Text Enhance. Usually it gets installed to an infected computer without its user’s consent or knowledge. Once in the system it creates registry entries and temporary files that enable to display spam ads.
Kontera and the Kontera WordPress plugin are known to be used to generate money through its affiliate program by paying for clicks. Yet one would find many complains related to this issue, such as that Kontera ad users do not receive their payouts. Moreover, Kontera’s support team does not respond to any of messages.
Kontera is not a virus itself and usually it does not cause any direct harm to your computer besides being a very annoying application and interrupting your work. You might wish to block it or to remove it completely.
Instructions for blocking Kontera text ads
- In order to block Kontera ads from Mozilla Firefox you may wish to use a free Adblock Pro Extension from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/. You should put a blocking to the address http://kontera.com.
- For Internet Explorer go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Restricted sites. Click the Sites button and enter the address http://kontera.com.
- For Google Chrome download Adblock Extension from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom. Go to options -> Customize -> Block an ad by its URL and enter http://kontera.com.
You may also wish to try setting a Firewall rule for disabling Kontera. You should go to advanced settings in your computer’s firewall. Block the following IP addresses on all ports and protocols:
Another option is to use Host Files/Internet Resource blocking. You should:
- Open Host file. For this use MS Notepad as an administrator.
- After you open the file add 127.0.0.1 kona.kontera.com to the bottom of it.
Please note that blocking Kontera does not eliminate it. After every browser update it will be active again. For the application to be removed permanently you should either delete its system files and registry files manually or use special antimalware tools like Spyhunter for its removal. In a case when Kontera comes with malware and can not be blocked by common means, it should be deleted using antivirus software.
Automatic Kontera removal tools
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Kontera, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Reimage or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.