i.search.metacrawler.com virus - How to remove?
i.search.metacrawler.com virus is a browser hijacker that was designed for malicious purposes. It attacks computers that use Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Once inside, it changes your homepage and default search provider to i.search.metacrawler.com. At first sight, the website looks like an ordinary search provider. However, it promotes a bunch of commercial links and has relations with Funmoods, which is considered to be a potentially unwanted program.
If you have not installed any applications from the same family as Funmoods, i.search.metacrawler.com virus has probably been added to your system together with free software. Whenever you are getting any free tools from the Internet, for example, free video players, video recorders, download managers, etc. follow every installation step instead of hitting on the Next button without reading the text. If you see any pre-checked boxes saying that you agree to change your homepage to some other website or download additional applications, deselect them.
If i.search.metacrawler.com virus is already on your browser, beware that it can lead to serious problems. Because of redirections caused by this browser hijacker your browser may be forced to open many corrupted websites which, subsequently, contain malicious programs and this way infect your computer. To protect your PC you should remove i.search.metacrawler.com virus as soon as you detect it on your system.
Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs list and uninstall it from there. It is recommended to uninstalling ALL programs installed on the same date as problems have appeared. Some versions of this virus install software that blocks browser settings from changing. To identify them, scanning with Reimage, SpyHunter or other reputable antispyware tool might be useful. Then you can uninstall the extensions and reset settings in your browsers.
How To remove i.search.metacrawler.com virus from Internet Explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box
- Do following: On IE8-9 choose Manage Search providers, On ie7 click change search defaults
- Remove the i.search.metacrawler.com from the list
How To remove i.search.metacrawler.com virus from Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for ‘browser.newtab.url’. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
- If the settings revert and scan with anti-malware programs are clean: Close Firefox, open file explorer and enter %AppData% in the address bar. enter user.js in search box. If this file exists, rename it and start Firefox again. You will have to repeat the steps above.
How To remove i.search.metacrawler.com virus from Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from the list.
- Go back to settings. On Startup choose open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).