Herbst Ransomware - How To Remove?
Herbst ransomware targets German-speaking users as it is apparent from its name for those who know German. ‘‘Herbst’’ translates as ‘‘autumn’’ if you are a British English speaker or ‘‘fall’’ if you are an American one. Though this ransomware is regarded a beta version by some security experts because of the some minor programming mistakes, the specialists have not come up with the decryptor yet. So if your desktop turns black and you see a message in German in yellow, you can almost be sure that Herbst cryptomalware has landed on your computer.
About Herbst Ransomware
Herbst ransomware is written in C#. This cryptovirus uses AES-256 encryption key but it fails to send it to the C&C (Command and Control) servers and also does not verify the transaction ID. It appends .herbst extension to the file extensions of all encrypted files. This ransomware just as the German nation likes order. It encrypts files in a specific order. First, the files on your desktop are encoded, then it is the turn for the files in My Pictures and My Music folders and, finally, a Personal folder is corrupted. This file encryptor displays a pop-up window titled ‘‘Encrypted’’ containing a ransom note written in German. The hackers threatens that without their decryptor your data can only be restored in one hundred years. The Bitcoin address is 18uM9JA1dZgvsgAaeeW2XZK13dTbk1jzWq (just do not follow it). Though it only requires 0.1 BTC which is 58.08 USD at the moment to get your files decrypted, it can still cause you a great deal of inconveniences.
How is Herbst Ransomware Distributed?
How to Decrypt Files Encrypted by Herbst Ransomware?
No decryption software has been developed so far. However, as soon as the decryptor for Herbst ransomware will be released, we will make a note on that. This ransomware virus may also delete Shadow Volume Copies. So the only way you can retrieve your files is the application of Kaspersky tools, R-Studio, PhotoRec or other data recovery tools.
To remove Herbst ransomware from your computer’s system employ powerful security software such as Reimage, SpyHunter, Hitman and Malwarebytes. These anti-malware tools will also delete any of its leftovers. Manual removal instructions are provided below. And remember to keep the backups of your data in some external storage in the future, update it, the same is to be said about the credible antivirus – keep it and update it.
- About Herbst Ransomware
- How is Herbst Ransomware Distributed?
- How to Decrypt Files Encrypted by Herbst Ransomware?
- Automatic Herbst ransomware removal tools
- How to recover Herbst ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
- Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
- Step 2. Complete removal of Herbst ransomware
- Step 3. Restore Herbst ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume Copies
- Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover Herbst ransomware encrypted files
Automatic Herbst ransomware removal tools
How to recover Herbst ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
for Windows 7 / Vista/ XP
- Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- Press F8 key repeatedly until Advanced Boot Options window appears.
- Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
for Windows 8 / 10
- Press Power at Windows login screen. Then press and hold Shift key and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot → Advanced Options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- When it loads, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of Startup Settings.
2.Restore System files and settings.
- When Command Prompt mode loads, enter cd restore and press Enter.
- Then enter rstrui.exe and press Enter again.
- Click “Next” in the windows that appeared.
- Select one of the Restore Points that are available before Herbst ransomware has infiltrated to your system and then click “Next”.
- To start System restore click “Yes”.
Step 2. Complete removal of Herbst ransomware
After restoring your system, it is recommended to scan your computer with an anti-malware program, like Reimage and remove all malicious files related to Herbst ransomware . You can check other tools here.
Step 3. Restore Herbst ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume Copies
If you do not use System Restore option on your operating system, there is a chance to use shadow copy snapshots. They store copies of your files that point of time when the system restore snapshot was created. Usually Herbst ransomware tries to delete all possible Shadow Volume Copies, so this methods may not work on all computers. However, it may fail to do so.
Shadow Volume Copies are only available with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. There are two ways to retrieve your files via Shadow Volume Copy. You can do it using native Windows Previous Versions or via Shadow Explorer.a) Native Windows Previous Versions
Right-click on an encrypted file and select Properties → Previous versions tab. Now you will see all available copies of that particular file and the time when it was stored in a Shadow Volume Copy. Choose the version of the file you want to retrieve and click Copy if you want to save it to some directory of your own, or Restore if you want to replace existing, encrypted file. If you want to see the content of file first, just click Open.
b) Shadow Explorer
It is a program that can be found online for free. You can download either a full or a portable version of Shadow Explorer. Open the program. On the left top corner select the drive where the file you are looking for is a stored. You will see all folders on that drive. To retrieve a whole folder, right-click on it and select “Export”. Then choose where you want it to be stored.
Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover Herbst ransomware encrypted files
There are several data recovery programs that might recover encrypted files as well. This does not work in all cases but you can try this:
- We suggest using another PC and connect the infected hard drive as slave. It is still possible to do this on infected PC though.
- Download Data Recovery Pro (commercial)
- Install and scan for recently deleted files.
Note: In many cases it is impossible to restore data files affected by modern ransomware. Thus I recommend using decent cloud backup software as precaution. We recommend checking out Carbonite, BackBlaze, CrashPlan or Mozy Home.
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Herbst ransomware , such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Reimage or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.