Hakunamatata Ransomware - How To Remove?
Hakunamatata Ransomware is a dangerous computer virus that can infect computer and lock files stored on hard drive. Then it will ask victim to pay the ransom in order to unlock the files. If you are suffering from this infection, yo have come to the right place. In this article we will provide you with detailed instructions how to eliminate the malware and restore your files. Keep reading!
First thing you have to do is to remove virus from your computer until it costs you more cyber security damage. The ultimate way to eliminate infection like Hakunamatata Ransomware is to do it automatically, with a help of anti-malware software. Simply download reliable anti-malware application, such as Reimage or SpyHunter, install it on your computer and then run a full scan of all files stored on your hard drive. Either one of these applications should detect and eliminate Hakunamatata Ransomware automatically just in a few moments. It will also protect your computer from similar infections in the future so it’s worth to keep it installed.
However, if for some reasons you don’t want to download any additional anti-malware programs, you can get rid of Hakunamatata Ransomware manually too. This process might be complicated so we have developed a step-by-step Hakunamatata Ransomware manual removal guide – scroll down below this article and take a look at it. Try to complete all steps correctly and you will be able to eliminate Hakunamatata Ransomware manually by your own.
To learn more about Hakunamatata Ransomware please continue reading this article. If you have some questions regarding this topic, feel free to ask them in the comments section below and we will do our best to provide you with needed assistance.
About Hakunamatata Ransomware
This specific infection use RSA and AES encryption algorithms to lock files on users computers. The whole process looks like this:
- Hakunamatata Ransomware enters the computer via spam email or bundled with some free software.
- Once inside of the system, it starts to scan all files stored on it. The virus is looking for files that it could lock. Basically it is any file that one can use in a daily life – photos, video and audio files, text documents and so on.
- Once the scan is over, it will lock all those personal files. An extension “.HakunaMatata” will be added to every single of them and from now on you can’t open them.
- After the encryption is done, you will notice a file called “Recover files yako.html” on your desktop. It contains instructions how to pay the ransom and retrieve your files. You will be asked to contact cyber criminals via the Btimessage system. Then you will receive orders how much, how fast and where to pay the ransom.
We would like to warn you that paying the ransom is not the best option, even though it might look like this to you. First of all, there are no guarantees that you will recover your files even after paying the ransom – you can never trust cyber criminals. Secondly, you support cyber criminals by paying the ransom and that’s not a good thing to do.
There are other methods to retrieve your files. Unfortunately, there are no valid files decrypter available at this moment, but cyber security experts are working on it and we will update you as soon as it is ready. Other method to unlock your files is to perform a system recover. However, in order to be able to do that you have to have a valid copy of your hard drive that was made before the infection. If you have on, take a look at our instructions how to perform system recovery.
- About Hakunamatata Ransomware
- Automatic Hakunamatata Ransomware removal tools
- How to recover Hakunamatata Ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
- Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
- Step 2. Complete removal of Hakunamatata Ransomware
- Step 3. Restore Hakunamatata Ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume Copies
- Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover Hakunamatata Ransomware encrypted files
Automatic Hakunamatata Ransomware removal tools
How to recover Hakunamatata Ransomware encrypted files and remove the virus
Step 1. Restore system into last known good state using system restore
1. Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
for Windows 7 / Vista/ XP
- Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- Press F8 key repeatedly until Advanced Boot Options window appears.
- Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
for Windows 8 / 10
- Press Power at Windows login screen. Then press and hold Shift key and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot → Advanced Options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- When it loads, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of Startup Settings.
2.Restore System files and settings.
- When Command Prompt mode loads, enter cd restore and press Enter.
- Then enter rstrui.exe and press Enter again.
- Click “Next” in the windows that appeared.
- Select one of the Restore Points that are available before Hakunamatata Ransomware has infiltrated to your system and then click “Next”.
- To start System restore click “Yes”.
Step 2. Complete removal of Hakunamatata Ransomware
After restoring your system, it is recommended to scan your computer with an anti-malware program, like Reimage and remove all malicious files related to Hakunamatata Ransomware. You can check other tools here.
Step 3. Restore Hakunamatata Ransomware affected files using Shadow Volume Copies
If you do not use System Restore option on your operating system, there is a chance to use shadow copy snapshots. They store copies of your files that point of time when the system restore snapshot was created. Usually Hakunamatata Ransomware tries to delete all possible Shadow Volume Copies, so this methods may not work on all computers. However, it may fail to do so.
Shadow Volume Copies are only available with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. There are two ways to retrieve your files via Shadow Volume Copy. You can do it using native Windows Previous Versions or via Shadow Explorer.a) Native Windows Previous Versions
Right-click on an encrypted file and select Properties → Previous versions tab. Now you will see all available copies of that particular file and the time when it was stored in a Shadow Volume Copy. Choose the version of the file you want to retrieve and click Copy if you want to save it to some directory of your own, or Restore if you want to replace existing, encrypted file. If you want to see the content of file first, just click Open.
b) Shadow Explorer
It is a program that can be found online for free. You can download either a full or a portable version of Shadow Explorer. Open the program. On the left top corner select the drive where the file you are looking for is a stored. You will see all folders on that drive. To retrieve a whole folder, right-click on it and select “Export”. Then choose where you want it to be stored.
Step 4. Use Data Recovery programs to recover Hakunamatata Ransomware encrypted files
There are several data recovery programs that might recover encrypted files as well. This does not work in all cases but you can try this:
- We suggest using another PC and connect the infected hard drive as slave. It is still possible to do this on infected PC though.
- Download Data Recovery Pro (commercial)
- Install and scan for recently deleted files.
Note: In many cases it is impossible to restore data files affected by modern ransomware. Thus I recommend using decent cloud backup software as precaution. We recommend checking out Carbonite, BackBlaze, CrashPlan or Mozy Home.
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Hakunamatata Ransomware, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Reimage or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.