Gifthulk Search - How to remove?
Gifthulk Search is a program that causes frequent redirections to search.gifthulk.com and some other websites, once your browser has been hijacked. You may be curious why if appears on your computer so often when you are trying to make a search or visit some particular website. Apparently, it’s a malicious program that tries to collect traffic to certain websites, but for the user it causes many inconveniences.
Gifthulk Search will change your homepage and default search engine. The website will also appear when you one a new tab on your Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Although the website looks like an ordinary search engine, it doesn’t work very accurately. You will see tons of commercial websites in the search results as well as various ads. Gifthulk Search focuses on making the users click on certain pages increasing the traffic this way.
You should also know that this type of programs are able to track your browsing activity and even record some sensitive information. This data is usually sent to the remote server where it is used for various purposes. Usually the data about your browsing activities is used for marketing. In any case, it poses risk to your privacy and that is why you should avoid keeping such programs on your computer.
Remove Gifthulk Search as soon as you detect it on your computer. Go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings. Scan with Spyhunter as it identifies such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see Gifthulk Search listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove Gifthulk Search from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).
Automatic Gifthulk Search removal toolsWe might be affiliated with some of these programs. Full information is available in disclosure
Manual Gifthulk Search removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Gifthulk Search, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Gifthulk Search infected files and get help in Gifthulk Search removal by using Spyhunter scanner.