Genieo Search - How to remove?
Genieo Search is a browser hijacker that is distributed to random computer systems bundled with free applications from the Internet. Once inside, the program changes your default search engine and homepage to search.genieo.com. The problem about this website is that is doesn’t provide good search results as it includes tons of sponsored links. This way the program seeks to increase traffic to certain pages. However, it brings many inconveniences for the user.
If you want to avoid installing programs like Genieo Search, you should be very careful about your downloads from the Internet. Usually, the program is bundled with free video or music players and similar software. At one of the steps of installation you are able to choose which additional programs to install. You are highly advised to deselect any unknown applications in order to avoid problems.
Genieo Search also records your browsing activities and can get access to your usernames and passwords. This data can be sent to the third parties where the information can be used for marketing purposes. What also poses a risk to your security is lots of redirections that can bring you to infected websites where you can get more serious threats installed to your computer, like various malware programs. It is recommended to remove Genieo Search from your computer as soon as you detect its traces on your system.
To remove Genieo Search, go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove programs list and uninstall it from there. It is important that you remove all other programs installed with the hijacker, as some of them might redownload or reset back browser settings. Scan with Spyhunter as it identifies such programs quite well. You should also check browser extensions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you do not see Genieo Search listed, you should use antimalware tools like Spyhunter and scan your computer with it. Uninstalling the program from your computer doesn’t change your search providers, it only stops ads appearing on your computer. You will have to do it manually by yourself. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
On Internet explorer:
- Click arrow on the right of search box.
- Do the following: on IE8-9 choose Manage Search Providers, on IE7 click Change Search Defaults.
- Remove Genieo Search from the list.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).