How to remove Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus
Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus (also known as M.M.A.Δ virus) is one more ransomware that comes from the same family as all police related viruses that attack ransom computer systems for the last year. The program attacks computers in Cyprus and uses a name of local police in order to gain users’ trust. It blames you for using some copyrighted content without permission and asks you to pay a fine. The program completely locks your computer and does not allow to do anything there. You will only see the message in the middle of your computer screen, that looks like a notification from Cyprus police, warning you for some illegal activities.
It is very normal that many people get really worried about this message. Nobody wants to deal with police especially if you are blamed for breaking the law. Many computer users agree to pay whatever it takes just to avoid any further dealing with the police. However, if you think a little bit before making any money transfer, you may understand the situation a bit better and even realize that Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus has nothing to do with police. Police would never warn you about law violations using such means. It would never block your computer from such reason and ask you to pay a fine using payment system that requires pre-paid cards. Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus asks to make a transfer using PaySafeCard or MoneyPak payment systems.
You should never trust the message by Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit . It’s a scam designed by cyber criminals seeking to steal your money. Use a reputable antispyware program like, Spyhunter and remove Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit as soon as you detected it on your computer. If your computer has more than one user account and not all of them are locked, scan whole PC with anti-malware programs, e.g. spyhunter, by logging to the account that is not blocked. Another option is to use system restore. If none of these methods worked for you, do the following:
- Restart your computer;
- Press F8 while it is still restarting;
- Choose between safe modes in following order: Safe mode, Safe mode with command prompt
Then follow the guides below:
If your computer runs in Safe mode or Safe mode with networking
- Launch MSConfig.
- Disable startup items rundll32 turning on any application from Application Data;. Note, that these are typical locations for Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus but some others might be used.
- Restart the system once again.
- Scan with http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe to identify Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus files and delete it.
Here is a video showing how to complete the steps:
If your computer runs in Safe mode with command prompt
- Run Regedit.
- Search for WinLogon Entries. Write down all files it references that are not explorer.exe or blank. Replace them with explorer.exe
- Search registry for Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus files and delete the registry keys referencing the files
- Try to reboot and scan with Spyhunter.
- If this fails, try doing system restore from safe mode with command prompt (rstrui.exe)
If none of safe modes could be launched
Some versions of Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus disable all safe modes, but give a short gap that you can use to run anti-malware programs:
- Reboot normally.
- Enter: http://2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe . If malware is loaded, just press alt+tab once and keep entering the string blindly. Press Enter.
- Press Alt+tab and then R couple times. Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus process should be killed.
Here is a video detailing this approach:
Hitman Pro USB disk
If you did not succeed using any of the methods above, try scanning PC with a bootable USB or DVD disk. These should be able to remove all versions of Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus, but will not work if your hard drive is encrypted.
For that, we recommend using Hitman Pro Kickstarter USB.
- Download Hitman Pro on uninfected PC.
- Run Hitman and ask to create Kickstarter USB (option on initial screen)
- When USB ready, reboot infected PC with USB attached and press DEL
- Choose USB as primary boot device.
- Boot normally.
- Run Hitman Pro and http://www.2-viruses.com/downloads/spyhunter-i.exe . One of these programs should detect and remove malware from your PC.
Automatic Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus removal tools
Manual Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus removal
Important Note: Although it is possible to manually remove Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus, such activity can permanently damage your system if any mistakes are made in the process, as advanced spyware parasites are able to automatically repair themselves if not completely removed. Thus, manual spyware removal is recommended for experienced users only, such as IT specialists or highly qualified system administrators. For other users, we recommend using Spyhunter or other tools found on 2-viruses.com.
It is impossible to list all file names and locations of modern parasites. You can identify remaining parasites, other Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus infected files and get help in Cyprus Police Emergency Response Unit virus removal by using Spyhunter scanner.